The Tertiary Education Commission annually awards a number of Scholarships to bright undergraduate students to undertake research at MPhil/PhD on a full time basis at the University of Mauritius (UoM), University of Technology, Mauritius (UTM) and Université des Mascareignes (UdM).
- TEC advertises the scholarships in the press and on its website.
- Applicants are required to fill an application form and submit same together with their research proposal as well a copy of their secondary and post-secondary qualifications.
- Applicants must provide evidence of having secured a seat for MPhil/PhD at any of the above publicly-funded universities.
- Once the awards are made, beneficiary is required to sign a bond with the TEC.
- The Scholarship covers: an annual tuition fee up to a maximum of Rs 75,000 and a monthly stipend: MPhil – Rs 16,500; PhD – Rs 18,300.
- Tuition fee and monthly stipends are credited to the bank account of awardees.
- For payment of stipends, awardees must submit a progress report every month to the TEC providing evidence of progress with regard to the research and attendance as required by the MPhil/PhD research.
- For payment of annual tuition fee, the awardee must submit an annual progress report of his/her MPhil/PhD research certified by his/her supervisor.
- A beneficiary is granted a maximum period of 4 years to complete his/her PhD, that is two years for MPhil and another two years for PhD.
- No extension of scholarship is provided.
Interruption/Transfer of studies
- For interruption of studies or upgrading from MPhil to PhD, the recommendation of the University is required.
- If for any reason whatsoever the awardee decides to interrupt, terminate, exit or modify the programme of studies before the expiry of the bond, for reasons not acceptable to the TEC, he/she will pay back to the TEC the whole amount received in respect of the Postgraduate Scholarship together with a 5% interest on the amount cashed, within one year from the date of notification.
The completion date of the Scholarship will be taken to be the date of submission of the MPhil or PhD thesis or the expiration of the Bond, whichever is earlier.
Publications and Dissemination of Research Findings
All MPhil/PhD Scholarships awardees are required:
- to publish at least 2 research papers in internationally peer-reviewed journals during their scholarship.
- to do at least 2 oral presentations at seminars/workshops/conferences; one at the end of MPhil and the second one at the end of PhD and to inform the TEC, accordingly. Copies of the research publications and the conference papers/proceedings should be submitted to the TEC, as evidence.
- to submit a soft copy of their dissertation to the TEC after completing their studies, within one month of the final correction of their thesis.