TEC acts as focal point for the private post-secondary education institutions, within the context of implementing the Government’s decision to grant free transport to full-time students including international students. In this context, all private post-secondary educational institutions running full-time tertiary level programmes have to seek the approval of the Commission before applying for free transport to the National Transport Authority.
In order for students to be eligible for Free Transport, they are expected to satisfy the following criteria:
- Institutions should be registered with and their programmes accredited by the TEC (or previously the MQA)
- Students should be registered on full-time post-HSC programmes
- Full-time programmes of study refer to award courses of a duration of at least nine months, that is one full academic year, and leading, upon completion, to either a:
- Certificate – 1 academic year; or
- Diploma – 2 academic years; or
- Degree – 3 academic years; or
- Postgraduate Degree or
- Any other qualification recognized by the TEC.
- Students should attend the institution for about 20 hours per week, within the normal working hours, that is, 9.00 hrs to 17.00 hrs
- Eligible Students includes international students
- Students should be non-employed (that is, they should not be on study leave from their employers)
- Students should not be beneficiary of a scholarship or study grant