The TEC is administered and managed by a Board which consists of a Chairman and 8 other members. The Prime Minister appoints the Chairman and members who hold office for 3 years but are eligible for re-appointment. The Board generally meets once a month.
Powers of the Board
The Board may do such things as appear requisite and advantageous in furtherance of the objects of the Commission and may in particular:
- Receive funds from the Government and raise funds from other sources for the provision and development of tertiary education;
- Allocate funds to tertiary education institutions in the light of their annual and long term programmes;
- Require tertiary education institutions to:
- Provide information and data on any matter falling within the Commission's objects;
- Submit annual and long-term plans;
- Submit financial estimates and accounts, and prepare periodic reports in such form as the Board shall determine.
- Appoint sub-committees and co-opt such persons to such sub-committees as it may deem necessary.
Sub-Committees of the Board
The TEC Board has approved the setting-up of sub-committees of the TEC Board as follows:
- Sub-Committee on Audit Matters
- Sub-Committee on Finance
- Sub-Committee on Regulatory Matters
- Sub-Committee on Research in the Tertiary Education Sector
- Sub-Committee on Staff Matters